I admit to slacking recently. I never give myself strict dates when it comes to writing. This is a hobby, and being that regimented kind of ruins it. Hobby = fun. Work = not fun, but it pays better.
Still, writing it all down helps keep me focused. Here's an idea of what I want to accomplish before Fall.
- Write 1.5 more short stories. I have half of one, and another idea to get to.
- Write the promo article for the book of short stories.
- Keep moving forward on outlining, and keep the Camp Research blog idea moving.
- Actual research to fuel my outlines.
- Edit The Playground. Whip it into beta reading shape.
- Organize the short stories into book format.
- Edit the short stories into shape for beta readers.
- Beg for beta readers for the novel and the book of shorts. (When the time comes.)
- Choose one outline to become my next novel. Write an absurd blog post about it.
- Work on the winning outline, while saving the rest for later.
- Various promotional things as they come up.
I've been trying to read more. This isn't a bad thing for writers. I've even been reading outside my genre, which I do on occasion. I look at this like an ongoing goal.
I also took on another beta reading project. I might be able to help someone, but I learn from the process too. As long as we all play nice, we both win.
It seems like a lot, but it isn't. I could finish the writing part on the short stories in two hard days. Organizing them could take some time. It's like putting the songs in order for a good concert. Thank God for copy and paste.
Editing will take some time, but my critique group is working through the early chapters of The Playground right now.
Research involves enough “stuff” to get the story moving. Additional research is always required after the draft starts. I hope to start my novel by Winter time.
How regimented are the rest of you writers? I don't have specific dates, and there will be more camping in my future too. The world won't end if I don't get everything finished on a tight schedule. (I'll bet I'm close though.) Do you make lists? Do you have a system to enforce your schedule? I won't even participate in nanowrimo, because I don't like the tight goals.